Dusters/Gottberg Brew Pub – Lincoln Highway Landmark
The Gottberg Auto Company is one block west off the original Lincoln Highway route along 13th Street. It was constructed in 1920 by Max Gottberg for $65,000. The buildings origin was a car assembly plant, garage and dealership until 1937. The large, two story building has great terra cotta replicas of the front end of an automobile. The grill of the “car” is adorned with the letter “G”. Above the belt course on the south side is a name plate which reads “Gottberg Auto Company”.
The building housed a roller skating rink on the 2nd floor in the late 1940s. In the mid-1950s, the second floor was occupied by Dale Electronics who then took over the whole building from around 1959 until 1975. They moved out in 1975 and the building sat vacant until 1991. Mac Hull, restored the building in 1993 and in 1995 it become home to Dusters Restaurant and the Gottberg Brew Pub, named for the long coats travelers wore for protection from the elements. The 2nd floor houses the corporate offices of Nebraska’s most popular salad dressing, Dorothy Lynch.
- 2801 13th Street, Columbus, Nebraska
- Visit Website